Vilitra, a generic form of Vardenafil, is used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) in men. The medication works by relaxing the muscles and increasing blood flow in the penis.
Vilitra is an erectile dysfunction medication sold under various brand names. Vilitra is a PDE-5 enzyme inhibitor. The active ingredient vardenafil works by blocking the action of the enzyme, allowing the smooth muscles in the arteries of the penis to relax which increases the flow of blood, triggering an erection when combined with physical or psychological sexual stimulation.
Vilitra is manufactured in India by Centurion Laboratories; it is available in 40 mg and 80 mg tablets.
About Using Vilitra
Before taking Vilitra, is it important to have a physical examination to ensure you are healthy enough for sexual activity and that Vilitra is the correct medication for your ED. Your doctor will need to know your medical history as well as the names of medications you are taking, including, prescription, over-the-counter medications, and herbal remedies. This is important because Vilitra can have an adverse reaction when combined with certain medications.
Your doctor will determine the appropriate dosage of Vilitra based on factors such as age, medical conditions and weight.
The suggested dosage of Vilitra is no more than one dose in a 24 hour period.
Vilitra is usually taken when needed, about 60 minutes before sexual activity.
Vilitra should be place under the tongue and be allowed to dissolve completely before swallowing. Do not swallow tablet whole; do not break, crush or chew tablet.
Since Vilitra is taken as needed, there is little chance of forgetting a dose.
Get immediate medical attention if you accidently taken an overdose of Vilitra.
Common Side Effects Associated with Vilitra
As is true with all medications, Vilitra may have side effects. You may not experience a side effect using Vilitra.
The most common side effects include:
- flushing of face, neck, upper chest, and arms
- stuffy nose
- changes in mood
- dizziness or fainting
- body or muscle ache
- peeling or blistering skin
Get immediate medical attention if you experience one of these serious side effects:
- severe dizziness
- severe nausea
- chest pain
- pain or tingling in neck, jaw, or arm
- sudden vision loss
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty swallowing
- heavy feeling in chest
- irregular heartbeat
- pain or numbness that spreads to arms, neck or jaw
- painful or prolonged erection that lasts for more than 4 hours
- ringing in ears
- severe headache
- sudden loss of hearing, which could lead to permanent deafness
- sudden loss or change in vision
- priapism - a serious medical condition in which an erect penis does not return to its flaccid state
This is a partial list of possible side effect; ask your doctor or pharmacist for an all inclusive list.
Warnings and Precautions
You should never stop, start, or change dosage of any of your medications without your doctor's approval.
Do not use Vilitra if you:
- are allergic to Vardenafil or any of its ingredients
- take nitrates for chest pain
- use Poppers, a recreational drug containing nitrates
- take other medications for erectile dysfunction
Do not use Vilitra without your doctor's approval if you have any of the following medical conditions:
- heart disease
- recent stroke or heart attack
- congestive heart failure
- personal history of Long Q Syndrome or a family history of
- high blood pressure
- low blood pressure
- liver disease
- kidney disease
- sickle cell anemia
- multiple myeloma
- hearing disorder
- vision disorder
- retinitis pigmentosa
- deformed penis
- irregular heartbeat
- have a thyroid disorder
- have any disease of the eye
- have heart disease
- suffer from chronic bladder infections
Important Safety Information when taking Vilitra:
- limit or avoid alcohol while taking Vilitra, it may increase the severity of side effects
- do not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit while taking Vilitra
- do not take Vilitra if you have been advised against engaging in sexual activity.
- Vilitra should not be used by women, children, or adolescents males under 18 years of age.
- Vilitra may make you dizzy, do not drive or operate machinery until you know how it affects you.
- Vilitra does not protect against HIV/AIDS or other sexually transmitted diseases. Always practice safe sex.
- Vilitra should be stored in a cool and dry location.
- Keep Vilitra and all medications out of the reach of children and pets.
Potential Drug Interactions
Tell your doctor what medications you take including prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal remedies. Do not start taking a new medication without telling the doctor you are taking Vilitra.
You should not take Vilitra without your doctor's approval if you take:
- alpha blockers
- medications for arrhythmia
- antifungal medications
- high or low blood pressure medications
- medication for a prostate disorder
- medications for HIV/AIDS
This is only a partial list of medications that may have a drug interaction with Vilitra. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a complete list.